BACKGROUND CHECK POLICY
How do we do a background check? What are the steps?
- Complete your Delegation Information Spreadsheet and send to Molly. First/Last name and email address of Adult Advisor are needed for background check.
- Complete and pay for registration online.
- Molly will send “heads up” email to registrars that the Adult Advisors in their group will be receiving an email from Praesidium Inc.
- Adult Advisors will follow the directions in the email from Praesidium Inc. Adult Advisors will have 14 days to complete this check.
- Unless there is a question or a flag with your report, the process will be complete.
Who in my delegation needs to complete a background check?
Who is responsible for doing the background checks?
Do you use a particular company to do background checks?
Yes we do. Praesidium, Inc. is a highly regarded, well-reputed company that works with a number of national organizations to provide abuse prevention screening and training. Praesidium Inc., has worked extensively with the Presbyterian Youth Triennium and the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), to develop comprehensive abuse prevention training, screening and resources.
What are positive criteria for selecting adult advisor’s for my delegation?
- The potential adult advisor is able to demonstrate mature leadership among young people. She/he is able to act as an adult and is completely comfortable in the role of an adult chaperone/guide.
- The potential adult advisor has experience chaperoning teenagers and is recommended by her/his congregation and affirmed by the presbytery and/or synod.
- The potential adult advisor is comfortable with event authority, covenant community guidelines, and is willing to lead the delegation by encouraging the members of the delegation to conduct themselves likewise.
- The potential adult advisor has a good history of guiding teenagers, providing leadership with teens and adults, and maintaining healthy physical boundaries. She/he is not overly physical with youth, understands issues of power in youth/adult relationships.
- The potential adult advisor has a background screening report that is approved by the Triennium staff. The Triennium office handles this as part of the registration process.
How recently must the background checks have been completed?
Who will see the information in the background check reports once they reach the Triennium office?
Once the background check reports are completed they are immediately relayed to the Triennium registrar.
They are kept in a secure location and held in confidence. Only the National Registrar, the event administrator, and the legal team for each denomination have access to the background checks.
If there is a situation during the event that requires a report to be checked, it will only be viewed by one of these three people. If follow-up action is necessary (i.e. litigation, investigation) the report would be subject to viewing by attorneys from the respective denomination.
Who can I contact with questions or concerns?
Email: [email protected]
Office Phone: 1-800-728-7228 x5208 or 502-569-5208
If you are a PYT leader, event volunteer (meaning you are a member of the PYT staff) or Production Team member your background check will be managed by Volunteer Coordinator, Heather Leoncini. You can contact Heather at:
Email: [email protected]
Office Phone: 1-800-728-7228 x 5460
If you are having technical issues with the actual background check, please contact Praesidium Customer Support at: 817-801-7773