PYT Groups – Exploring the theme with other participants in a focused group setting.
During the 2022 Youth Triennium two GROUP options will be available for participants to choose. Both great CHOICES for participants! AND, an opportunity for adult youth leaders.
Two Types of GROUPS / One choice per participant! (PYT participants can register for either a Lens Lab or a Small Group).
- LENS LABS
During Presbyterian Youth Triennium (PYT) Lens Labs, participants will be given space to process and reflect on our theme, “When Did We See You?” through the “lens” of a subject/topic they are interested in, with guidance from leaders possessing expertise in that same area. Through meaningful conversation, community with kindred spirits, and a wide variety of creative activities, Lens Labs will help young people discover how Matthew 25 and their experiences at PYT intersect with their personal interests and gifts in ways that enrich their growing Christian faith.
Youth who choose a Lens Lab will meet with that Lens Lab a total of 3 times (Two 2-hour sessions, one 1-hour session). Lens labs will be focused on a particular topic/specific area of interest and how the Triennium theme of “When Did We See You?” can be viewed through a particular lens. This lens could be environmental justice & faith, Spiritual Practices, Leadership Development, Presbyterian Peacemaking, poetry, anti-racism, communal singing, community building through recreation, activism, film, social media, etc.
A complete list of Lens Labs options and leaders will be available HERE in January 2022.
- SMALL GROUPS
We also know that for some young people, a small group setting that uses a common guide of interactive games, conversations, and explorations led by a caring and experienced youth worker is the best way for them to explore the theme, form friendships, and grow in faith. This is a great option for participants who prefer to take a broader look at the theme and appreciate the common experience that all youth in Small Groups will share.
Youth who choose a traditional Small Group experience will meet with their assigned Small Group a total of 3 times (Two 2-hour sessions, One 1-hour session). Youth from across delegations will be divided-up into their respective Small Groups for daily Bible study, reflection, conversation, recreation, and prayer.
When completing the online Participant Release Form during registration, each participant will choose either a particular Lens Lab from a list of choices OR will choose to participate in Small Groups.
Information for PYT 2022 Small Group Leaders
If you or someone you know is an experienced youth leader who . . .
- Cares deeply about accompanying young people on their spiritual journeys
- Is committed to making Small Group a safe space (emotionally, spiritually, and physically) for all group members
- Is energized about leading Small Group activities and facilitating discussions
- Is interested in leading a Small Group for PYT 2022
We need faithful, enthusiastic Small Group Leaders to join us!
Are you sensing a call to Small Group leadership at PYT 2022 or do you know someone who would be an asset to our team of gifted and enthusiastic Small Group Leaders? If so, then carefully and prayerfully read through the following information where you will find:
- an overview of the way we will be doing Groups in 2022
- a comprehensive list of expectations and requirements we have for our Small Group Leaders
- instructions for how to apply to be a Small Group Leader at PYT 2022
Small Groups at PYT 2022
Youth who choose a traditional Small Group experience will meet with their assigned Small Group a total of 3 times (Two 2-hour sessions, One 1-hour session). Small Group will continue to function as it has in the past: youth from across delegations will be divided-up into their respective Small Groups for daily Bible study, reflection, conversation, recreation and prayer.
This way of doing Small Groups means that we recruit approximately 75 Small Group Leaders— so the sooner your Small Group Application is completed and submitted the better!
Expectations and Requirements of PYT 2022 Small Group Leaders
We are looking for Small Group Leaders who:
- are experienced youth leaders (volunteer or professional)
- are excited about accompanying young people on their PYT journey and are comfortable serving as group facilitators for Small Groups of 20+ high school-aged youth
- ultimately value the experience our young people have — encountering God’s Word, forming Christian community and growing in faith at Triennium — more than their own “Small Group Leader experience”. This is the first time for our youth participants and in this spirit we strive for all leadership to lead with a NEW spirit!
- embody the Fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control
- will be 22 years old or older by June 30, 2022
- will be available and fully present for virtual and/or in-person Small Group Leader training in Spring/Summer 2022 (Zoom) and arrive for pre-event set-up on Saturday, July 23rd, 2022. The Triennium event is Sunday, July 24 – Wednesday, July 27, 2022.
- will abide by the PYT Community Guidelines
- will follow all COVID-19 guidelines in place for PYT 2022
Apply to be a Small Group Leader for the 2022 Presbyterian Youth Triennium
To apply to be a Small Group Leader for PYT 2022, please follow these steps:
- Fill out a Small Group Leader Application as soon as possible (Application Button Below). The sooner we hear from you, the better! Because we are committed to diverse leadership, we will work to fill Small Group leadership with adults from across the country, sponsoring denominations and from various cultural groups.
- Wait for one of the members of the Groups Ministry Team to contact you after your references have been checked. This may take a few weeks as applications come in but know that we will be back in touch with you once we have heard from both of your references.
- If you are selected to be a Small Group Leader for PYT 2022, you will be asked to register for the event and fill out an online participant information/medical and event release form. *This will be in 2022.
- All adults onsite at the Presbyterian Youth Triennium are required to have a background check run and to do mandatory abuse prevention training in accordance with Presbyterian Church USA’s Child/Youth/Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy. The Office of Presbyterian Youth and Triennium will coordinate these processes.
For Small Group Leaders who apply and are selected to serve, Triennium covers the cost of travel, lodging (double hotel room w/roommate) and meals during the event. All volunteers will be given the opportunity to donate $100 toward the PYT Staff Gift Fund as an act of solidarity with PYT participants who pay their way to PYT. This can be done during your registration.
Should you have any questions, please contact our Groups Ministry Team Coordinators: Samantha Hassell and Geoff Ryken at email@example.com